Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall

Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall

Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall

The Magomayev Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall (Azeri: Maqomayev adına Azərbaycan Dövlət Filarmoniyası), located in Baku, is the main concert hall in Azerbaijan built in 1912.

The Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall was constructed throughout 1910–1912 at the request of the city elite.

Designed by the Armenian architect Gabriel Ter-Mikelov in the Italian Renaissance (exterior) and German Rococo (interior) styles.

Its design was inspired by the architectural style of buildings within the Monte-Carlo Casino, particularly l’Opéra de Monte-Carlo.

The society (known as the Summer Center for Public Gatherings prior to 1936) was originally organized.

As a club for the wealthy of Baku.

Who attended it for banquets and entertainment. During the Russian Civil War it served as a place for public rallies.

In 1936, the club was reorganized into a residence for the Philharmonic society aimed at promoting Azerbaijani classical and folk music.

On 11 August 1937 after the building underwent renovation it was named after composer Muslim Magomayev.

In 1995, the hall was closed down for the more than 8 years for another renovation. However no restoration works were performed for the most part of that period, much to the discontent of many residents of Baku. Azerbaijan’s Minister of Culture explained such delay by.

Philharmonic Hall

The fact that underground waters had damaged the base of the building over time.  

Nevertheless, there were reports (mainly in the opposition media) that the money provided for the renovation by the government or donated by various prominent musicians (such as Mstislav Rostropovich, a Baku native) was largely misappropriated by the bureaucrats and officials who were in charge of funding the project.

It was not until November 2002 that the restoration works resumed due to President Heydar Aliyev’s special decree.

The opening of the fully renovated building took place on 27 January 2004. The opening ceremony of the newly-renovated building was held on January 27, 2004.

Several famous people attended the ceremony like President Ilham Aliyev, former minister of culture Polad Bulbuloglu, outstanding cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, professor Ferhad Badalbayli.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply