Region Fizuli was founded in 1827 and the initial name was Garabulag. 08.08.1930 Fizuli granted an administrative district status and was called Karyagin. The town was renamed Fuzuli in 1959 on the occasion of the 400th birthday anniversary of great poet Muhammed Fuzuli.
A number of architectural monuments were built in Fuzuli district under the influence of the Ajami architectural school. Unfortunately, the tomb of Ahmadalilar or Argali, the tomb of Babi, the tomb of Mirali, built of smooth stone in the village of Ashagi Veisalli, Caravanserai, the Haji Alakbar mosque in Fuzuli, a bathhouse “Mashadi Khabib”,ancient monuments of figures of a horse and a ram carved from stone near the village of Merdinli and other monuments of historical importance were brutally desecrated, destroyed and burned by the Armenians forces.
Mirali mausoleum is a mausoleum in Ashaghi Veysalli village in Fuzuli Rayon of Azerbaijan. The mausoleum was constructed in the beginning of the 14th century. The name of the mausoleum is famous in legends. It was located near an old road between Beylagan and Barda, a stone’s throw from the center of Fizuli Rayon.
Mirali mausoleum is a tower-type mausoleum. Narrow cylindrical housing of the mausoleum with diameter of 5 meters and a conic ending of 15 meters heights is built from rows of thoroughly dressed and bedded stone.
The western half, including the capital, was controlled by the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic as part of the Hadrut Province, as a result of the First Nagorno-Karabakh War. Horadiz became the temporary administrative centre of Fuzuli Rayon due following Fuzuli’s occupation by Armenian forces on 23 August 1993.
On October 17, 2020, most of the occupied portion of the district including the capital Füzüli was announced to have been recaptured by Azerbaijan during the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war