Sabirabad district was established on August 8, 1930. First, the district wascalled Petropavlovka and was later named after the great Azerbaijani poet Mirza Alakbar Sabir. Located at the confluence of the Kura and Araz rivers, part of the region is located in the Mugan plain on the right bank of the Kura River, partly in the Shirvan plain on the left bank of the Kura River, and partly in the Mil plain on the left bank of the Araz River. The total area is 1469.6 km, the number of villages is 74. The region is bordered by Kurdamir in the north, Shirvan in the east, Bilasuvar in the southeast, and Saatli and Imishli in the west. The administrative center is the city of Sabirabad.
The climate of the region belongs to the temperate-hot semi-desert and dry steppe climate with dry summers. Mainly gray-meadow soils are widespread. The area is dominated by semi-desert vegetation. There are also desert plants in some areas. In the saline semi-deserts, halophyte bushes are often found: black onions, Caspian yellowberries. There are also Caspian shahsevdisi, charan, as well as one-year-old salt marshes – found in plants. In the tugai forests along the Kura and Araz rivers, white poplar, elm, willow, willow and yam predominate.
The territory of Sabirabad region is rich in waterfowl. There are gray goose, white goose, red-breasted gazelle, haraychi crow, whispering crow, angut and so on. There are mammals such as wolves and foxes inhabiting the area.
There is a state socio-economic college, vocational school, 85 secondary schools, 22 kindergartens in the district. There are 126 cultural and 77 healthcare facilities, including the Sabirabad Olympic Sports Complex, the Heydar Aliyev Center and the Flag Museum.
The territory of Sabirabad is rich in ancient and medieval settlements and monuments. As a result of archeological researches in the region, ancient settlements and necropolises were discovered in Surra, Javad, Abdulyan, Garatepe, Guruzma, Garagashli, Bulagli, Zangana, Galagayin villages of the region. The place called “Bud Tepe” of Guruzma village, Ag-koyungishlag place near Kovlar, Tepakishlag place on Sigrili road (Galajik), Puttepe near Guruzma village, Bina, Yastigobu settlements near Garatepe, Baba-Samid temple, ancient pottery and various tools were found on the site. The medieval settlement of Javad dates back to the IX-XV centuries, and the materials found in the area of the village called “Shahargah” prove that this cultural place belongs to the XI-XII centuries.